December 25, 2012
It is our honor and pleasure to finally be able to inform you that as of this morning, the 12th of Tevet, 5773, December 25th, 2012, after the papers were officially signed by the OC Central Command, General Nitzan Alon, Ariel University is a reality. From today onward, our journey as Israel's 8th university has begun.
It's been a long, windy road, but now we have finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel!
Here's a review of some of the landmarks along the way:
- September 6, 2012 - The academic body responsible for determining the institution's eligibility for university status, known as the Council for Higher Education in Judea and Samaria, gave an official recommendation to fully approve the upgrade. All that remains is the signature of General Nitsan and the decision will be final. But that doesn’t mean that there hasn't been opposition.
- February 2, 2005 – A government decision of "... national importance ..." was made to upgrade the institution to a university.
- July 2005 - Deputy Attorney General stated that "the authority to decide" belongs to the Council for Higher Education in Judea and Samaria.
- 10/11/2005 – The Council for Higher Education in Judea and Samaria established an investigative committee, comprised of six leading Israeli professors.
- 30/08/2006 - Committee recommends, Council for Higher Education in Judea and Samaria confirms: temporary recognition as a university for five years, while setting academic goals to obtain permanent recognition.
- January 2012 - The committee's final report was sent to the Council for Budgeting and Planning with a unanimous and unequivocal recommendation: "Ariel is a good university ... to be accepted now."
- 07/04/2012 – The Council for Budgeting and Planning recommends to the Council for Higher Education in Judea and Samaria not to approve the recognition of the university, and attacks the entire process.
- 17/07/2012 - Resolution: the Council for Higher Education in Judea and Samaria discussed the final report of the six professors and, notwithstanding the recommendation of the Council for Budgeting and Planning, decides to recognize the institution in Ariel as a university.
- 08/20/2012 - The Committee of University Heads attempts to undermine the decision by filing case with Israel's High Court.
- 27/08/2012 - Bar Ilan University announces that she will not participate in the High Court petition brought by the other university heads.
- September, 2012 – Minister of Defense Ehud Barak sends letter to Prime Minister Netanyahu, requesting to withhold final status decision of Ariel's university until after the High Court's decision.
We take this opportunity to thank you for your continued dedication and support that has helped us reach this momentous milestone. We will be sure to keep you informed of future developments.